This past year for Christmas I decided to go for a more homemade look with our tree by adding gingerbread men. Brian supported this idea whole-heartedly since it not only looked homey, but was easy on our bank account. I had fun cutting out the gingerbread men and women and Brian put them up on the tree.
6 Cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 tsp ground ginger
4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves/allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks butter, softened (12 Tbsp)
1 1/2 Cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 Cup dark molasses
- Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl and set aside
- Using an electic mixer, beat butter & brown sugar until fluffy & well blended
- Beat in eggs, molasses & water until well mixed
- Beat half flour mixture into molasses mixture until well blended and smooth.
- Stir in remaining flour. Knead until well blended (or use your handy dough hook).
- If it's too soft, add more flour.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours (better if overnight) and sit 10 min at room temp before rolling. Roll 1/4" thick
Bake at 350 for 11-15 minutes for large pieces and 6-8 min for smaller pieces.
Rotate cookie sheet halfway through.
Let cool on rack for 15 minutes.
Yield: A LOT!